Monday, January 3, 2011

9- Stars Concert, Blackhawks Win!

Remember how I said 2010 was gonna be the year of concerts? Here's another. This one was cheap, and the best part is I got a ticket even though it was sold out- my friend Ryan had a ticket and asked me if I wanted to go like two days before. I was gonna go anyway with my friend David (DMF) since it was close by, and stand outside and see if we could find a ticket. So HE still did that, and got a ticket within 30 seconds! For $5 I think it was!

Anyway, it was the band Stars. They're pretty cool. I can't describe them really but they're electronic driven pop, like less electronicky than Postal Service but a bit like that at times...it was a small venue, and we were in the balcony with a good view.

What else was cool was that they played their soon-to-be released album straight through from start to finish, and then played some other favorites. They're Canadian. The girl isn't as hot as her voice sounds. And for some reason I had thought the lead singer guy was black. He was not.

Anyway, after that show we got an extra treat- the band left the stage, the club dropped the projector screen, and showed overtime of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup- so we got to see the Blackhawks win (the most confusing anticlimactic win I've ever seen) and since the club was close to my neighborhood (Wrigleyville) and I knew people would be in the streets, I walked up there and checked it out.

And people were in the streets. Cops blocking off the main stretch of bars near Wrigley, crowds in the streets- pretty tame since it was the Hawks and I think it was a Sunday night (or a weeknight?) but still cool to see the excited (and drunk) crowds.

Some people hoisting aluminum foill and cardboard Stanley Cups. What large idiot-looking guy did a triple take at one of the cups and said "that's not the...is that the-wait, is that...no, that can't be the real one...right?" Wow dude. Really? In the street with a bunch of drunk people?

There WERE a fair amount of people though. But many more when the Cubs clinched the division...partly because the stadium is RIGHT THERE...


Anyway- events like that make me wish I was a big Chicago sports fan so I could feel like I could join in, and be stoked. But the rest of the year I'm glad I don't waste too much of my life, and invest too much emotion, in all those teams. Notre Dame is enough emotional rollercoaster for me thank you. Someday- I will get my celebration.

No comments: