August every year in Chicago brings the Air and Water Show. Most of the city's population ends up on the beach somewhere, packed in like sardines to watch the show down where they have speakers and announcers. But its still plenty fun, and less packed, and more comfortable, farther up north- so we went out to the lake front and sat on the grass and watched the show- me Josh Andrea Gobel Jeff Rachael David and...maybe I'm forgetting someone. We sat on our blankets and chairs for a couple hours and saw the planes fly in formation, make lots of noise, make lots of smoke, and do cool tricks.
Josh and Andrea had some alone time by the water and looked like a good picture- so I made sure to catch it. They were watching the planes.
I took a few sweet videos but they take too long to post. Here's one of the Blue Angels though, flying wing to wing...when they got close overhead you could see there was only a few feet between each plane. Unreal. And SO loud.

There were also F-16s flying overhead too, sometimes so loud we hadta plug our ears. Thankfully we were easily able to just walk home afterwards rather than being all the way down at the beach.
I also got a great chance to see MORE music. My friend Ryan (or Becky's boyfriend Ryan if you prefer) invited me to go see Keane with him at the Chicago Theatre- apparently Becky couldn't go with him at the last minute and he asked me to come- for free. Wow.
I'd seen Keane before, and they were better than last time because they had great lighting and actually a guitarist these days. But the added bonus of getting to see Fran Healy (the lead singer of Travis) and Ingrid Michaelson (who I realized during the show that I had actually heard a few of her songs months or more ago when I'd looked her up). Seeing Ingrid was the highlight, and I had a huge crush on her after the show. And thankfully found out that she was coming back to Chicago soon again, and I was DEFINITELY going :) I looked up a bunch of her music and listened to it over and over. She has a certain way of enunciating or something that is really very...enticing, I guess. Anyway. She's also a cute redhead with a great voice, and she's really funny and self-effacing in concert.
Another August event- I applied for something called "Month at the Museum". Which multiple people told me about within the same week, saying they heard about it and I'd be perfect for it. It was basically $10,000 plus some free gadgets, to spend a month LIVING at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, living in a glass box, touring the museum, learning about EVERYTHING, interacting with the public, and blogging and video blogging about it.
Here was my setup for filming my little application video. Needless to say, THEY didn't think I'd be perfect for it apparently- I didn't even make it past the first round. Oh well. I tried.
A final event August always brings...the ND Alumni Club booze cruise. Always a great time, always worth it- its like $35 for 4 hours on a boat, out on the lake and then down the river, with all you can eat pizza, beer and wine on tap, and a bunch of ND alums. Sadly, it used to be me and a bunch of friends. The past couple years have been most of my friends saying they couldn't come or didn't want to anymore (seriously?? a CRUISE on the LAKE) or people not being able to go for some reason. Kills me.
Here's a nice view down the river. The same one I get every year. That never gets old.
So I went again obviously, with basically just Gobel, and a few of his friends were going too. So we hung out, it was alright, but I was starting to feel like my life was changing, my friends were moving on, and here I was sitting on a boat with a bunch of people I didn't know, with no job and no girlfriend. It was the second or third time since graduation that I was thinking maybe I should move home and start life over again. But I didn't move home. Almost though! That saga is to be continued ;) Too bad I hadn't blogged in real time, because this would have been the time I threatened to move home again.


No comments:
Post a Comment