Monday, January 3, 2011

19- Museum of Science and Industry

Events! I did so many things while I didn't have a job. And didn't enjoy them nearly as much as I should have, because I didn't have a job, or money. My friend though had some passes to the Museum of Science and Industry, and I'd been wanting to go, since the girl who won the "Month at the Museum" contest was living there, and since I'd applied, I wanted to see what it was like. So we went. I hadn't been since I was a kid. And it was awesome!!

The rotunda had a big Christmas tree in it which was great. And there were smaller Christmas trees (but still like 9 feet tall) that were decorated like traditional trees from around the world. It was pretty cool.

Here's the glass cube that the girl was living in. That *I* could have been living in if I'd won. Yeah I didn't even make it past the first round. The cheating thing is the girl didn't hafta sleep in there, she had her own private room somewhere else to sleep in and have alone time or something. I think for $10,000 and prizes, she shoulda hadta live in the spotlight (aside from the bathroom of course).

I did get a free pass for four to the museum though, for entering that contest. So I'm going back some time- maybe this summer.

Here's a two-story-high tornado. You can adjust the moisture and the direction of the fans and the strength of the wind and stuff and see how the tornado changes. But pretty cool to just look at a mini tornado.

THIS was awesome. It was about light and how what wavelengths are shining and reflected off objects determines what colors you see. You could change the colors of the light and see what colors the objects looked, that were labeled the color they'd look under white light. The vividity (is that a word??) of the light was amazing.

This was a thing you could adjust the angle of the mirrors and stuff, it was splitting a beam of light into multiple wavelengths so you could see that white light was actually made up of multiple colors. It was very cool to see.

THIS was AWESOME. It was spraying flammable liquid from the top, that was lit, and you could see the droplets falling and burning- you could change the size of the droplets and force of the liquid coming out. Pretty cool. The museum has done well creating interactive exhibits...

Here's me, clearly, and the stand-up model of the girl who won the contest, maybe so you could get a picture with her if you couldn't find her, maybe so you would know what she looked like so you could go find her.


I didn't see her. Didn't know she was wearing an orange shirt. Dammit, I would gone to find her- just to go see if she was doing a good job interacting with the visitors, and to secretly think that I could have done a better job than her- unless of course, I found out to my own chagrin that she was in fact doing a great job, much better than I could have. Then I would have just been annoyed and dejected.

No comments: