Saturday, January 1, 2011

3- 2010 Chicago Auto Show. Cars. Sweet.

Last year I had some cousins to hang out with at the Chicago Auto Show, which always a good time. If you like cars. Its been getting smaller each year because of the economy and such, but its still pretty awesome- especially since you can touch and sit in lots of great cars. Some people apparently actually use it as a way to shop for cars, though I'd rather go to the dealer where I could take a test drive anyway...

Toyota's new Sienna minivan had new recliner-type seats. They look awesome. And people were actually napping in them. Uhhhh, that's weird.

THIS was a Scion (offshoot of Toyota, those weird boxy toaster-cars). This fun thing was a party car, where the sides flipped down and had speakers in them, and up in the middle of the room, there is a DJ mixing board so a DJ could stand IN the car and mix songs. Redickulous.

This one opened into a grill, with TVs up top, a sink to the right, fridge to the left, and taillights that popped out into holders for condiments and silverware and stuff. Party car.

This car just had no roof, and super-low-riding seats.

One of my personal favorites, because its actually being sold in the US now (though it was supposed to be this past fall). The Fiat 500 (Cinquecento). A tiny little car like a Mini Cooper. I saw them all over Italy and thought they were great, and I love that the dashboard is the same color as the body. And they look great with red or white leather inside. And they're making electric versions!

Gaudy Dodge Challenger. Raspberry colored. Like a giant Jolly Rancher.

Every year Jeep makes super-extreme-off-roading cars.

THIS year, Dodge decided to prove how stiff and strong their truck frame was. And apparently how strong they could make a steel arch attached to the truck frame. THIS WAS AWESOME to see.

They even let you walk right under it!! How long did it take to get THAT legally approved by someone...

The new Lexus coupe with retractable hardtop and optional margarita-green paint job.

Some tiny electric Mitsubishi.

The other major player in the electric car game- Fisker. The guy who started this company supposedly stole ideas from Tesla. He also designed cars for Aston Martin, so he knows how to make a cool looking car. While Tesla's eventual Model S sedan is gonna be 50 grand, this one is gonna be like$80,000. But its damn fast, damn fine, and the hardtop even has a big solar cell array in the roof for extra energy :)

Pretty mean lookin car.

The solar cells.

Here's Iron Man's car updated with a convertible top (which he drives in Iron Man 2). Dunno where they got this copper color though...I mean yeah its different and cool I guess, but also weird. The Audi RS8. A badass car.

Concept cars. They're always so spacious...

...and gadgety. That's why I like them. Steering wheel looks like the Predator.

Hyundai electric car. Neato.

This car is meant for the beach. It has strappy seats kinda like the old pool-deck chairs, and two surfboards for a roof. Oh, and the whole thing is bright orange, of course.


Some GMC concept car, a big trucky thing.

The Transformers Camero. With the Transformers logo on it. But I don't think it actually turns into a robot. Lame.

The Chevy Volt. Hopefully not an eventual bust, since its subsidized by the government and seems like Chevy's last hope at avoiding bankruptcy. Its a hybrid, due out any day now. Under 30 miles (I think) per trip it'll run totally on the electric engine.


Keep in mind this is only a fraction of my photos. I spent like four hours perusing cars. Pretty awesome. I love design! Shapes, colors, interior materials- touching, sitting, etc. A great time.

No comments: