Saturday, August 16, 2008

Prequel

Hi from California.  Time to post all this garbage I've typed.

Prequel

Well I suppose I should write a bit about previous events in life before I get on to our trip.  So here goes those.  Tiffany's friend Shubair, aforementioned, came to visit a couple weeks ago, so we got to do some touristy things that never get old for me.  Saw Navy Pier, which took way too bloody long, and walked past the River East Art Gallery where Tiffany and I met, that's $15,000 to rent for a Saturday.  Or $6,500 on a Sunday.  That's better I guess...  We also got to see the Hancock Lounge again, have a $15 drink (hey, the Observatory costs $12.50 so what the hell) and look around the city.  And we took some cool pictures.  And some dumb ones.  Thankfully Tiffany is as ridiculous as me cause I don't think I could deal with taking serious pictures all the time.  And my faces would piss her off.

Also, my soccer season ended.  For me anyway, cause I hadta leave town for this vacation thing.  I'll miss the playoffs.  Also, my esteemed former roommate Matt, yes the guy in Japan, turned a big strong 27 August 3rd.  Later that week we went on the Notre Dame Alumni Club Annual Booze Cruise or some name like that with too many words.  It used to be $30, now its $40, but its still magical to get a three-hour boat tour down the river and out on the lake with all you can eat pizza and all you can drink beer and wine.  And all I can take pictures.  Sweet.  I think there's less and less people I know each year on that boat that aren't already there with me.  Sign of old age.  Tiffany enjoyed hanging out with (read "would not stop talking to") her new friend Diana, who Josh tried to catch up with when he could get a word in.  I enjoyed taking pictures of buildings.  A riverboat cruise in Chicago is an architect's  Disney World.

Then I had my pseudo last day at work, hoping that I will have more days at work during the semester provided they have work to keep me busy.  I could use the money, and certainly have the spare time...HA no.  But really, I enjoyed it there.  And going downtown means I get to see buildings go up and the parking garage out back go down.  That's fun.  Architect's Disney World, I'm telling you.  At least not counting Dubai.


The last event before we embarked on our epic journey was my cousin Rachel's wedding in Noblesville/Carmel/Indianapolis area, IN.  If it wasn't for that wedding I'd have been in MN at another friend's Katie Noack's wedding and then crashing another, Colleen Clark's.  Or I'd be crashing two, either Spencer and Katie in Niagara Falls or friend Kyle from school and his now wife Julie in Buffalo.  Apparently its the weekend to get married.  So all excuses for spending time with family are good, but of course weddings are great.  Personally, I just came to see the newly renovated Wack kitchen, but the wedding was nice also.  Its always weird seeing people get married though cause its such a life-changing momentous occasion.  But also these days, not being in college anymore, and being older, people not only marry people you don't know well, but do it in more haste cause they're ready.  I've met Joe enough times but its still weird that Rachel knows him enough to get married.  That and the whole meeting a year and a half ago and now being married.  And we used to be really close in college and afterwards so she's a bit like a sister.  Well enough about that business.  But check out the sign at the Hilton pool...and three bald guys.


No comments: