Saturday, August 23, 2008

Last Day (ish)

So our last day was full.  Of walking.  According to my phone pedometer, 19.1 miles.  Rockin.  A trip record.  Due mostly to my destinations around the city- thankfully Chris was mostly in agreement and my dad assuaged to my plans.  Not only did we see Thom Mayne's Federal Building (more hideous than I had expected) and Daniel Libeskind's Comtemporary Jewish Museum (less interesting than I had hoped, but still cool) we got to see a small Frank Lloyd Wright building, built after The Guggenheim both in time order and in design aesthetic, the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park by Herzog & de Meuron, and across the way the new California Academy of the Sciences by Renzo Piano, which I forget was even here until I saw it.  That was a close one- almost missed it!  








We also walked through Japantown, where were underwhelmed by the pagoda thing but pleasantly surprised by a sweet Catholic Church (St. Mary's) across the street, and walked way way down Haight St. and saw miles of hippies and hookah shops and record stores.  We even saw the SFLBC in Golden Gate Park.  Yeah thats the San Francisco Lawn Bowling Club.  Old people wearing all white playing sort-of Bocce on a putting green surrounded by fence. 








I also found out this morning that we literally walked right by my friend Amy's work, BCV Architects, yesterday in a place called The Cannery, right near Ghirardelli Square in the Wharf area- I remember seeing the office and thinking hmmm, thats nice, I bet this is a cool hip area for lots of architects' offices- I wonder if Amy works around here?  Turns out YEAH.  


We also saw some other churches, and found out that while the streets are on a grid, the addresses are not so much, because while they follow a linear pattern, if you follow a street you might see a 2300 on the cross street at one block and then 2200 at the cross street of another.  Stupid, hard to find addresses that way, and hard to understand the map.  Oh well. 







Lastly, we went to dinner with an old employee of First Response, a good friend of my dad's.  And her husband and son.  We went to an Italian place called A16, had appetizers, pizza, pasta, wine, and wine, and then proceeded to a pub in Oakland to have a Belgian beer.  Tasty, and perfect for us weary travelers.  By a recommendation we're also gonna have lunch and possibly a beverage at a pub before scooting outta town tomorrow.  And hopefully finding wireless and seeing the Ferry Building that Tiffany told me to see.  


Now its time to give Chris a sensual back massage for his messed up shoulders, and go to bed.  Oh Motel 6 I shall miss you.  And sleeping on the edge of the bed while Chris sleeps in the middle with his grandma knee-pillow in my back...

No comments: