SO. First, my dad was in town for a conference, and stayed with me the night before the Frank Lloyd Wright Tour. As a preface, its a once-a-year tour of *some* of his houses in a neighborhood in Oak Park, a nice suburb teeming with his architecture, as well as somewhat yuppie wealthy white people. But anyway my dad and I and Tiffany went out for tapas (Spanish appetizer-sized dishes of food-tasty) and had sangria, walked to another bar, had a beer, and walked home. We walked like three miles all in all- good cause we were stuffed.
Then Chris and my mom showed up Saturday morning and we drove to Oak Park. We got to see five of his houses from the inside, though there are probably 10-12 in the neighborhood. Annoyance #1. Then we waited in line for anywhere from 15 minutes to closer to 40. Annoyance #2 (we're not counting the price of the tickets here, which was steep, since my dad paid for mine). Then we found out we couldn't take pictures of the interiors. You guessed it- Annoyance #4. The icing on the cake was the house we waited about 40 minutes to see, which we saw for all of two minutes as they ushered us in the front door, through the family room, and out the back door of the kitchen into the back yard. No upstairs. Same for the next house. AWESOME. As was waiting in line for it next to a sweet as hell house, which we were not able to tour. So the tour was cool, but kind of a let down in some ways. If I was loaded and could return each year for five or so years and see all the houses, maybe it'd be better, but I'd still leave without seeing some upstairs or being able to take pictures.
But then I guess thats what I subsequently bought the Frank Lloyd Wright bible, titled "The Houses" for. It retails for $75! And weighs its worth in pennies too. I paid less, thank you Half.com So here's a few pictures:
I should mention that we came across the car of a packrat/hoarder. And as we were taking pictures and saying how embarrassing it was, I was apparently the last to know until after we had walked away, but the guy standing by it selling newspapers was THE OWNER. He said something like "quite the spectacle I guess?" And I said "heck yeah!" which I guess is when Chris and my dad heard him say "yeah I guess I should take care of that" while I went on to make an ass of myself saying how embarrassed the owner would be if they saw people taking pictures of their car. Foot in mouth disease.
The coolest house we actually got to see, the Robie House, on University of Chicago campus. Still in the process of renovation. (Which cost TEN MIL).
And now its time to write about Guatemala............

No comments:
Post a Comment