A random table selling knives:
(there's no picture- it was too gruesome...)
On the way down we checked out another San Simon random hut where you can give more money and see walls covered with masks. Yyyyyyyyyeah. We also saw this little hillside that was being farmed, and saw piles of cow dung and wondered how they got up the hill. We found out, when we saw what I like to call the brick factory- it was the complete circle of life basically. There was a cow, tied to a tree, with its little calf over on the side. All around the cow the ground was covered in poop, which a dude was picking up, with bare hands, in giant mounds and stuffing in a huge canvas sack, and carrying up the hill to fertilize the little field. And he probably fed the cow what he grew, so the cow could make more poop. It was a brick factory because they also mixed the poop with dried grass and packed it into bricks, and they had both pre-brick clumps but also bricks and next to them a building made with the bricks. I bet your house kinda smells when it rains.
Brick-shaped clumps hanging out on the ground...
And the finished product, a poop-brick building!
On the way down I saw the largest plant I've ever seen. The leaves were wider than my body and taller than me. After we headed down we gathered together after wandering the markets a bit, to go have some din-din (thats not a Guatemalan thing I just mean dinner...but come to think of it it was more like late lunch). Then we scooted out of town back from whence we came.
Us in the marketplace.
Probably my dad's favorite picture the whole trip:

No comments:
Post a Comment