Friday, April 25, 2008

Oh, hi there.

Once again, I plug myself.  Check out my old other blog, which is basically a series of faceless postings ranting about pondering hating on or confused about various subjects and things.

http://csergio.blogspot.com/


Also, from that blog, as I was reading back, is something ASTOUNDING.  

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/uglydog.asp


That blog I mention usually goes something like this, which was again on my mind recently.  Noses.  Consider them for a second.  They suck.  I mean, the best most people can hope for is to NOT have an UGLY nose.  Its not like having beautiful red or blond or curly hair.  Sure, some people have cute noses, but basically most people either have a not ugly nose, or an ugly nose.  I personally think I support nose jobs more so than most plastic surgery simply because so many otherwise attractive people get screwed by having a monstrous or bulbous or crooked or something else schnoz.  I personally toe the line between a prominently Italian nose and just massively dago.  I mean, I feel bad for some people.  Really.

Also, what is the love affair in the creative/art world with wearing black?  Architects/aspiring architects (yeah see lots of those), artists, musicians, theater people, you name it.  I mean every concert you go to, the band has their tour shirt selling in black.  Sure black is a common popular easy to match color, but I mean we're talking black pants black shirt and thick black glasses kinda black here.  What's the flippin deal?  I'm tired of it.  As we like to say about all the alternative/emo/punk kids in Bucktown here in Chicago, you're not so different and rebellious and alternative when every other tool up and down the street on Friday night looks exactly the same as you.  Good quotes I have on Facebook- 
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
-Mark Twain

"The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution."
-Hannah Arendt

I mean REALLY, do you REALLY feel that individual and artsy and expressive when you look just like everyone else who's trying to do the same thing and apparently not noticing that you are too?  That's why I'm not buying into the thick black glasses architect thing.  Its tired.

LAST.  An interesting thing I've noticed in my field so far is the use of the phrases "sort of" and "kind of".  They've become a kind of analogy, except they don't really precede any actual analogy, just a particular explanation of the way something is that needs special attention.  The phrases get used so much that they're basically one word- kindve, sortof.  Its like when trying to convey something to someone.  Sure, everyone uses these phrases, but architects (and I imagine people in all creative fields) use them like high school girls use "like".  Seriously.  "This building expresses a kindve honesty of construction that is sortof Miesian in that it sortof feigns expressive materiality but actually is kindve hiding the truth behind a sortof mask."  I just made that up but you get the point.

No comments: