Sunday, January 27, 2008

"Normal" Life

A short note about things other than paralyzing grief :)

I finished my bloody project last night.  At 3:30am.  Thankfully I only had to wait for the bus for 25 minutes and ended up taking a different one towards the train instead of directly home, since my bus never came.  I was delirious from staring at paper for that long, but at least I watched Sicko, The Bucket List, and six episodes of Scrubs.  Sweet.  At least I did something useful with my time. 

Incidentally, has anyone SEEN Sicko?  Of course there's always more to any story, and reasons behind reasons, and untold stories and facts and such.  Lies, dirty lies, and statistics, as the saying goes.  But that movie was appalling.  Michael Moore talked about socialized health care in France.  He said well of course it must suck then.  No- wait time is short, treatment is good, health of residents is better than in America.  Well of course the doctors must be paid badly.  No, a GP has a nice home, Audi, and three children, but he doesn't get paid exorbitantly either. And most average days doesn't have to even deal with money, nor does he have to turn away people.  So the general population is crippled by high taxes, right?  No again.  So what's the catch?  Of course there is one, somewhere, but Moore doesn't show it- he does however nullify enough other possible catches that you're left wondering- what the HELL are we doing over here?

Of course he had a number of stories about the denied treatment of 9/11 volunteers without insurance, and the denied treatments, tests, medications, and care of many others whose insurance companies rejected their claims or the coverage altogether, and who died even though being given high hopes of survival given proper medical attention.  There was even a drugged up woman still in hospital gown put in a cab and dropped off at Hope Rescue Mission because she was mid-treatment and found to be with no insurance, this in LA.  Rebuttal?

I need to address the other concerns in my life at the moment but I'll be back soon.

Congratulations to Brian Wack on being my 100th reader.  Sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It all sounds so good, and yet....when you are in constant contact with a man for months as he seeks and is given an appointment that is months away, gets shunted from one doctor to the next (with the same long wait each time), goes to the ER and is STILL sent home, goes frighteningly steadily downhill, a young man in his thirties BTW....offer him a place to stay if he can get to the USA, look up and send him addresses for Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic....SEE the pictures of him as his face changes shape....and hear the voices of his fellow countrymen as they chime in with their own horror stories and can offer nothing but prayer....it makes you realize there is something seriously wrong with that system. I would never trade what we have here for that...NEVER.
ILY