Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Books. So many books.

In lieu of always saying what I'm reading, like my sister does, I'm going to print my list of books to read.  This list will probably take the next few years at least to get mostly whittled down, because unlike my movies list, it grows faster than it shrinks, and I'm also continually  coming across books not on the list that I read because well, there are here.

Books to Read:
--------------
Heavy
Out of Control- Kevin Kelly
Simulacra and Simulation
Moral Animal
Dark Star Safari- Paul Theroux
Tertium Organum- Ospensky
The Elegant Universe- Brian Greene
What We Believe But Cannot Prove
Roman Catholic Controversy: Catholics and Protestants


-Practical
Total Money Makeover- Dave Ramsey
Thoughtless Acts? Observations on Intuitive Design- Jane Fulton Suri
Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things


-Novels
Next- Michael Crichton
The Innocent Man- John Grisham
To The Lighthouse- Virginia Woolf
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Love in the Time of Cholera
The Turn of the Screw
The Things They Carried
Once and Future King
The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
100 Years of Solitude
On the Road- Jack Kerouac


-Interesting
Tipping Point- Malcolm Gladwell
The Future Beyond Brands: Lovemarks
The Apple Way
The Hinge Factor
History of God- Karen Armstrong
Origin of Wealth- Eric D Beinhocker
The Puzzle Palace- James Bamford
Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast
Love is a Mix Tape- Rob Sheffield
Deep Survival- Laurence Gonzales
Fast Food Nation
Naked Lunch
How to Taste: A Guide to Enjoying Wine
The Cult of the Amateur
Wikinomics : How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything
Brands and Branding
Microtrends
The Design of Things
The Design of Future Things: Donald A. Norman
How I Write- The Secret Lives of Authors
Predictably Irrational- Dan Ariely
Success Through Failure- The Paradox of Design



-Life
Ageless Body Timeless Mind- Deepak Chopra
How to Lose Friends and Alienate People
Always Talk to Strangers- David Wygant
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Why Most Things Fail- Paul Ormerod
The Secret
Fooled By Randomness (or other "Randomness" books)



-Psychology
Creativity- Flow and the Psychology of Discover and Innovation
The Nuture Assumption- Judith Rich Harris
This is Your Brain on Music- Daniel Levitin
Regret: Janet Landman
Men Are from Mars Women Are from Venus
Um: Slips, Stumbles, and Verbal Blunders- Michael Erard
Musicophilia- Oliver Sacks
The Woman Who Could Not Forget


-Anre
In the Name of Identity- Amin Maalouf
Culture, Self, and Meaning-  Victor de Munck
Psychology and the Human Dilemma- Rollo May
Life, Death, & Personal Identity- Daniel Kolak

1 comment:

DivinMercy said...

I am kinda bummed that I only own 3 of the books on your list. But you can borrow them any time you want ;)