Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Little Architecture Tour

I also did a little walking tour of our area with Janis a few weeks ago cause he told me there was some cool architecture (besides the rounded tower shape, nicknamed "el supositori" if you can guess what that means). This thing lights up at night sometimes in even more vivid colors than it has during the day. Pretty sweet looking.


So we took a walk around for a couple hours. See what we saw. I apologize for the sideways photos but its something about the blog- it takes rotating, saving, opening, re-rotating, and saving again, to get em correct. Too much time.


Some of these are pretty self-explanatory. I like the colored fins, and they block the sun.


Looks like they're gonna fall over.


In a park designed by Jean Nouvel, who did that tower, there are these circles all over the group. Looked pretty cool when the rain started to fall and made MORE circles! A video will be posted later of it...


The entrance to that Nouvel park, with a pixelated gate.


Cool facets to these buildings.


The faceted building in the background, this weird park in the front- also designed by Enric Miralles. That water was FETID from all of the birds that live around there and poop everywhere.


Sweet- the white wall cuts right through the glass!


A model of this church we saw, but the model looks cooler cause I can't take this same photo of the actual church :)


A looooooong pedestrial boulevard with many flagpoles that are holding...nothing.


The tallest building in Barcelona, with exterior structure. An SOM building.


That same long pedestrian boulevard, later, with random sculpturey things.


I like the facade. It opens up to reveal windows.


The suppository, along with two buildings that look like they're...engaged somehow, I guess.


I like this building. Its round.


One of the more famous, or infamous, buildings in Barcelona, The Forum Building in Diagonal del Mar, an area near the waterfront that is hopping. This building is by Herzog and de Meuron (going to see their stadium in Basel, Switzerland with Chris later) who built the Bird's Nest stadium from the Olympics in China.


Frank Gehry did this a long time ago. its a fish, but its basically just a mesh over a metal truss structure underneath- not a building, more of a giant covering or pavilion of some sort.


A floating staircase.


A very yellow school.


The "ME" building, maybe a play on his initials, also by Enric Miralles, on the right. Both of the buildings are offset volumes, hanging over nothing. Cool looking.


This thing is gonna be ugly. That orange is the actual outside of the building, as is the orange glass on there...


Volumes. I like the protrusions. A cool place for an office.


Some technical school. All louvers.


A view down the street, from near the fish, of the city rising up into the hills....


Another exterior structure building (sideways)- a lime-green truss holding the whole building up- I'm pretty sure all the floors are actually hanging from the truss at the top.


Some kind of powerplant building with vents, no windows, covered in wires on the outside for greenery and vines to eventually grow up the side of it........


I like the shape bulging out.


More cool volumes.

No comments: